Honestly, the Dishonesty is Disheartening

Governor Romney, as expected, has waited until the final week before the Iowa caucus to unleash attack ads against governor Huckabee. The support that governor Huckabee has won with his resonating message in the last couple of months governor Romney is trying to buy back by slamming the airwaves with negative, dishonest 30 second television ads. Governor Huckabee responded to the false attacks with an incredibly concise, yet accurate statement:

"If a person is dishonest in his approach to get the job, do you believe he will be honest in telling you the truth when he does get the job? You need a president who gets the job honestly. Because if they don't get it honestly he probably won't serve honestly."

Herein is one of the major reasons that Huckabee supporters like myself support governor Huckabee over governor Romney. It is not because Huckabee is a Christian and Romney is a Mormon. It is because Huckabee is trustworthy, and Romney is not. It is because governor Huckabee has made the hard decisions, and governor Romney has not. It is because governor Huckabee will say what is true whatever the cost, and governor Romney will not. For instance, see here and here.

Governor Romney has distorted the truth. He has not only misrepresented the records of his opponents, he has also misrepresented his own record. He does not deserve the high honor that is the office of the President. Should he become the nominee, I will not vote for him. I suspect there are many like me in that regard; possibly enough like me to ensure that governor Romney will not win the White House in 2008.

If governor Romney is the nominee, then in order to get me to vote for him, one would need to try and persuade me that having a dishonest Republican is better than having a dishonest Democrat. If the only difference is that the dishonest Republican will cut my taxes, whereas the dishonest Democrat will raise them, I'm afraid I would have to respond by saying that I simply cannot vote for either a dishonest Republican or a dishonest Democrat. If presented with such a situation, I will gladly and proudly write governor Huckabee in as my candidate.